Monday, November 7, 2016

[YOP] Week of November 6th, 2016


Wow! I really suck at this blogging regularly thing don't I? It's been almost 10 months since my last update!

To be fair, a lot has happened. Those who know me well know I was diagnosed with a chronic illness, and it wreaked havoc on my life the past few years. This year I hit an all time low and had to leave work on a sick leave and pretty much chew painkillers like candy until I was finally take in for surgery this summer. I just finally returned to (mostly) normal life in September and am back at work and trying to (slowly) pull my life back together.

That being said, I did get a heck of a lot of crafting done during those months! I mean...what else was I supposed to do with myself stoned and useless except watch Netflix and knit.

Let's see if I can touch on all the projects I have had ongoing since my last update, starting with ones I have actually finished. That's right! Your heard correctly! Projects I actually finished!

Firstly, I completed one square from Norah's Vintage Afghan for my German Shepherd Lovers Ravelry group. Each of us knit a square for the afghan and the complete afghan was then auctioned off and the funds were donated to a deserving dog rescue. The yarn used was Berroco Vintage, and the colourway was Oats. Here is my square.


And here is the completed afghan.


Next up, was my lovely (and aptly named) A Little Slice of Chaos shawl. This was both the pattern, and the yarn, from my April 2016 SAK (Smart-Ass Knitters) yarn club. The yarn is Chaingeling DK from Indigodragonfly in the Prince inspired colourway Ω≠∅. The picture isn't great, and the shawl still needs to be blocked, but she is finished.


And finally, my favourite so far, was my Wintersweet shawl by Boo Knits. I adore Boo's patterns, and I have started many of them. But this is the very first time I have ever finished one, and it definitely won't be the last! This shawl is gorgeous! And with just under 1,100 beads added, it's also a piece of artwork. I am almost afraid to wear it. Again, the pictures are not the best, and it still needs to be blocked, but it is finished! This was one of my Knit The Bin project goals so it makes me doubly happy! The yarn is lovely lace weight 100% tussah silk from DyeForYarn in the Crumbled Eiffel Tower colourway.



Well that's it for finishes...for now!

Let's see what is new and exciting on my needles.

First up, I am working on a type of Scoreboard Scarf for the hubby. He loves the Toronto Maple Leafs, but they always do so horribly. He was really excited for them this year due to a few additions to the team, specifically Auston Matthews, their number one draft pick for this season. I wanted to document this journey with the scarf. I am using Rowan Pure Wool Superwash DK in Snow and Navy, but I am not super fond of it. I really hope it softens up more in the soak and block stage. Here it is so far after the first 12 games. The Navy represents the Leafs and the Snow represents their opponents. There is still a lot more Snow than I like, but a lot more Navy than I was expecting. /grins


Also currently on my needles is the Pumpkin Spice shawl by Threebagsfulled in the Criminal Knits Ravelry group. A KAL is being hosted in both the CK group as well as the Wolle's group as the pattern was designed for the new Wolle's Silk Cotton Heather yarn. I chose the Red Heather colourway for my shawl, although it looks a little pink in this horrible picture. The picture of the yarn alone is a more accurate depiction of the colour.

 

 I am also working on a sweater for my son. When I asked him what colour he would wear he picked red, so red it is! This is Flax, a free pattern on Ravelry by Tin Can Knits and the yarn is Shelridge Yarns Soft Touch W4 (worsted) in the Cardinal colourway. It's a gorgeous Canadian 100% merino yarn I discovered in my local yarn store, Creative Yarns in Scarborough. I am hoping to have it done for Christmas...but there is still quite a bit to go...and I am easily distracted.


These are my most important projects right now. I also have two sweaters on the go. One is stalled waiting for help from the designed because I keep mucking something up, and the other is stalled in the seaming phase...because seaming... I also am starting another MKAL, a Velveteen Rabbit themed MKAL, on Friday.



10 comments:

  1. Your knit square for the Norah's Vintage Afghan is beautiful. And what a wonderful thing to do with the knit squares. I'm so glad you shared that. I love both your shawls, but the bittersweet is sooo beautiful. And what a fun idea is that Scoreboard Scarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, and thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. It is great you are back to work and getting your life back, even if slowly. Beautiful projects. Hope we get to see a post more often now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry it's been rough for you healthwise. You do what you can, you know? Don't worry about having to apologize. You sure got lot of fiber in 'da house! I'm glad you have this. What great things goin' on on your end. Love that German Shepherd collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I am so glad I have so much yarn available since I am going to try and do a year without new yarn...that's going to hurt! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Lovely to read your blog and see the progress of all your knits. The square you have contributed is smashing. The Wintersweet shawl is absolutely gorgeous. I like all of your makes in fact well done xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully more finishes in the near future.

      Delete
  5. wow, you know how to make lemonade out of lemons. Good for you to keep crafting through the diagnosis. Not east, I know. I love that shawl - and all those beads. Your projects are fantastic. I loved reading this post. Thank you. It lifted my spirits on an otherwise crappy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you! Your words really made my day today. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete